pigblog

...it is from that hour that I incline to date my Spiritual New-birth, or Baphometic Fire-baptism; perhaps I directly thereupon began to be a Pig.

November 11, 2005

Riddle me this

Okay so last night, before bed, I put the barrier back up between the pigs -- even though all the experts say if there's no bloodshed, don't separate them -- partly because I would be in bed and not see any bloodshed, were it to happen, and partly because, well, Maude was screaming every time Bessie went near her and it was really irritating, and would wake me up.

This barrier is made from 2 cube squares, twist-tied together, and twist-tied to either side of the cage. It moves only a very little bit when they pull on the bars with their teeth.

This morning, I woke up and came over to see how everyone was doing. I saw Maude drinking some water on her side and bent down to pet her when suddenly....

BESSIE came out of the house on MAUDE's SIDE -- the OPPOSITE SIDE to where she had been last night.

I still have no idea how she got through the barrier -- did she climb over it? I ought to have taken photographic evidence, but I was too sleepy and surprised to think of it. The good news is, they had apparently spent a considerable amount of time together in a space half the size of their full cage, and there were no battle scars. They even seemed quite content. This morning, there's been minimal screaming, and they may even be playing together.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the house tall enough so that she could've jumped on top of it and then over the great wall?

12:40 pm  
Blogger bugg said...

That's a thought, but I would never have imagined a guinea pig would be as clever as that! I'll have to check when I get home, but you may have hit the nail on the head.

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this makes me thing that perhaps pig-friendship is like stereotypical, hackneyd male-bonding sequencies in movies, i.e. first they beat the crap out of eachother, and then bond with deep and abiding frienship, shared respect for having withstood/dished-out such an arse-kicking, and all of that. Next they're going to be slapping eachother on the back & sharing bottle of whiskey.

2:43 pm  
Blogger bugg said...

oh, it's absolutely like that, cat&oli. as I was telling alex last night, that's part of the reason that, as an anarcho-syndicalist feminist, I find witnessing this behaviour so hard: I think, damned patriarchal, masculinist, hierarchical BS! Ì know they're a different species with their own unique set of experiences and beliefs, but I'm not much for liberal identity politics either, so... *snort*.
Did somebody mention whiskey?

2:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home